Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sorry can't quite cut it.


Let's start by narrating the story of today's tragedy, shall we?

I went to school an hour before noon because I still had an afternoon class tho I missed my two morning classes because of the damn rain. So like me, because I liked going to school even if I had no class to attend - that's how much I love being there (or away from here, I don't know which). When I arrived at school, things were normal - people were going about their business, we played foosball, and I slept when I got bored. But I woke up to the news of class suspensions. I looked at my wristwatch and it was near 4PM already. Why would they suspend classes when it was already dismissal time? But who am I to complain? The rain was unbelievable so I decided to stay and play foosball 'til I can manage the downpour. It was 6PM when I decided to go to the nearby mall to eat dinner with my block-mates. We ate 'til it was 8 in the evening and most of them decided to go home; I didn't. I was waiting for my constant companion because it would feel so lonely if I had to go home by myself and my cellphone battery was empty. So we decided to spend another hour at a convenience store. Then my friend was urging me to go home because he and another friend of mine (they're a couple), had somewhere else to go. I became irritated with the conversation because I was even called selfish and I realized that it was pointless to argue at that point. So I left them there and I walked towards Taft. But hell, that was the first time I saw Faura flooded - it was even knee-high! Imagine how high it was for me. And when I reached Taft, there were no buses stopping and passing anymore so I decided to walk towards the LRT station at UN. The flood was depressing - even more because I had to tread it alone - and very demoralizing. :( There were even waves! I arrived at the jeepney terminal at around 10PM and the line was astonishing. It was like there had to arrive 10 jeepneys before I would be able to hitch a ride. But only 6 came and someone asked if I wanted to take the bus instead. I agreed because I was feeling so hopeless and the bus ride was too long for my liking. I arrived at my usual stop at already 2:30AM. I couldn't detail the route of the bus here because you probably wouldn't understand. But to cut the story, I arrived home by 3:30AM. LIKE WHAT THE HELL. Yes, I go home very late (very early, in this case). I even arrive home later than 3:30AM. But not when I left at 9PM!

There were too many things I learned and realized today:


* I should go home immediately when the weather demands it. I only waste time waiting for the rain to stop and when it does, it almost usually leaves the streets flooded.

* Pick the day when I'll wear pants and shoes very meticulously. I rarely wear them; and when I do, this happens.

* Avoid being too dependent on people. I should always keep in mind that I entail "Miss Independent".

* When in doubt, don't go home. Find someplace near to stay for the night. And I mean somewhere you know you're safe.

* Charge your phone's batteries before you go out of the house. Never leave the house with a percent of it lost.

* Always carry extra money with you. You never know when you'll need it.

* Always have prepaid load. For when you need to call or text someone, during emergencies or self-proclaimed emergencies.

This night showed me a lot of things, and made me see who were there for me when I had no one. Sometimes the people you least expect to care are the ones who greatly do. And the people who say they care a big deal, really don't. Always, chances and choices. As I say, there is no destiny and fate. Things happen not because they're meant to, but because in one way or another, we make them happen. And tonight, everyone (including myself) deserves a sorry from me - sorry for being a brat, sorry for being selfish, sorry for being such a baby, sorry for being too maarte and sorry for not listening to my instincts. But somehow, I think sorry can't quite cut it.

No comments: